About The Project:

The airplane is a home-built, scratch-built Zenith CH 750 STOL. Building from plans/blueprints is a challenging way to build an airplane, since most of the parts you use to build it are not prefabricated. I chose the Zenith CH 750 STOL for its rugged design, its STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) characteristics and its aluminum construction. Zenith Aircraft Company has designed this airplane so that it can be built from scratch or from a kit by the average person. They provide excellent technical support for both kit and scratch builders. In addition, I'll be installing a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 164 cid horizontally opposed, air cooled, 6-cylinder engine, with special conversion parts to make it suitable for airplane duty. This is what the airplane will look like when I'm done, although I'll have a different paint scheme:

Follow my progress below!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Lots of progress!

Hey everyone, lots of progress since my last update. I have a ton of video to edit and more pictures to take, but here's a sample of what I've been up to:

Elevator Tip Ribs (R + L)

Rear Wing Attachment Brackets (3/16" Plate), Wing Root Attach Brackets (1/4" plate) and Wing Strut Attach Brackets (1/4" plate):
Wing Strut Attach Brackets and Wing Root Attach Brackets drilled for AN3 bolts:

Slat Ribs  Formed (6R + 6L):
These little guys were a pain to get right. I made 4 sets of cutting templates before I had the correct geometry needed to form a usable rib! Glad they're done.

 Wing Spar Tips Formed & Flanged (R + L):

My next update will include more pictures and hopefully some additional videos. I am getting close to the point where I'll start assembling the major structures. I just need some additional 6061-T6 in .040" to make some doublers and the horizontal stabilizer spar. Once I have those built up, I can start building the wings and horizontal tail. I also need to pick up some more sheet in .020'" and .016" so I can skin the structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment