About The Project:

The airplane is a home-built, scratch-built Zenith CH 750 STOL. Building from plans/blueprints is a challenging way to build an airplane, since most of the parts you use to build it are not prefabricated. I chose the Zenith CH 750 STOL for its rugged design, its STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) characteristics and its aluminum construction. Zenith Aircraft Company has designed this airplane so that it can be built from scratch or from a kit by the average person. They provide excellent technical support for both kit and scratch builders. In addition, I'll be installing a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 164 cid horizontally opposed, air cooled, 6-cylinder engine, with special conversion parts to make it suitable for airplane duty. This is what the airplane will look like when I'm done, although I'll have a different paint scheme:

Follow my progress below!

Thursday, February 9, 2017

3D Printing For Prototypes

Friends,

I've been curious about 3D printing technology for several years. While at AirVenture 2016, I was able to visit the 3D printing display in the drone exhibit. I'd been involved in a few discussions about the viability of 3D printing for aviation. Regarding my STOL CH 750 project, I've identified some key things I'd like to design, and 3D printing is convenient when paired with EAA's Solidworks CAD member benefit. I'm considering using a DIY EFIS/PFD system based on the Raspberry Pi computer and commercially available ruggedized displays. As such, I could end up with a need for custom bezels, mounting brackets, etc. At the very least, I could print custom mounting hardware for GoPro cameras to use while filming flight footage for my subscribers!

I have some other ideas for parts for the airplane, and a distant goal may include manufacturing parts for sale. But let's not put the cart before the horse. Right now, I just want to experiment with the technology as an intellectual exercise. After that, I probably will apply non-structural designs to the airplane. Following that, if the process seems viable, I may turn it into a business venture. Anyway, it's a sort-of project-related idea that I'm excited to share. I even shot a short video about it:


My printer kit:
http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.html?wid=21

Prusa i3 Printer, upon which mine is based:
http://www.prusa3d.com/#our-printer

EAA Solidworks Member Benefit:
https://www.google.com/search?q=eaa+solidworks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thingiverse 3D Printer File Database and Resource Website:
http://www.thingiverse.com/

Cheers,

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment