About The Project:

The airplane is a home-built, scratch-built Zenith CH 750 STOL. Building from plans/blueprints is a challenging way to build an airplane, since most of the parts you use to build it are not prefabricated. I chose the Zenith CH 750 STOL for its rugged design, its STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) characteristics and its aluminum construction. Zenith Aircraft Company has designed this airplane so that it can be built from scratch or from a kit by the average person. They provide excellent technical support for both kit and scratch builders. In addition, I'll be installing a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 164 cid horizontally opposed, air cooled, 6-cylinder engine, with special conversion parts to make it suitable for airplane duty. This is what the airplane will look like when I'm done, although I'll have a different paint scheme:

Follow my progress below!

Monday, March 20, 2017

Delays, delays and more delays!

Friends,

No exciting content in this update. I just wanted to throw out a quick post about my lack of activity lately. I recently had the flu and one of our household pets was very ill for a few weeks (and ultimately is no longer with us). Shortly after that, my wife had emergency surgery, so I was taking care of her for about a week. In the last month, I only managed a few hours of work on the elevator. In addition, I'm getting our newly acquired travel trailer ready for this year's camping season.

I managed to acquire some new welding accessories and tooling to help with the 4130 frame and fuel tanks. Mainly, I upgraded to a "standard" style foot pedal with some additional tooling. The stock pedal on my AHP AlphaTig 200X left much to be desired. I also added a couple more TIG finger protectors, a clear Furick cup for the torch (this will give more visibility when welding the 4130 in tight places) and a Lagesse Square.


At any rate, I have the elevator skins completely match-drilled to the skeleton, and I'm working on the elevator trim tab attachment (pictures to come soon). 

The last 12 months have been the year of setbacks for sure! I only managed about 250 hours of construction from April 2016 to March 2017....about half of where I should be. All kinds of things just ate up my personal time in the last 12 months, from home improvement/repairs, to injuries, to illnesses, to an unexpectedly very busy holiday season...you name it! I'm hoping things settle down a bit in the coming months, though I may be building a garden shed to free up some room in the garage, and I still having a camper wiring project to complete. At the very least, I hope I don't have to deal with as many illnesses and injuries. 250 hours is a pittance!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment