About The Project:

The airplane is a home-built, scratch-built Zenith CH 750 STOL. Building from plans/blueprints is a challenging way to build an airplane, since most of the parts you use to build it are not prefabricated. I chose the Zenith CH 750 STOL for its rugged design, its STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) characteristics and its aluminum construction. Zenith Aircraft Company has designed this airplane so that it can be built from scratch or from a kit by the average person. They provide excellent technical support for both kit and scratch builders. In addition, I'll be installing a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 164 cid horizontally opposed, air cooled, 6-cylinder engine, with special conversion parts to make it suitable for airplane duty. This is what the airplane will look like when I'm done, although I'll have a different paint scheme:

Follow my progress below!

Monday, November 9, 2015

Some easier parts...

The other day, I decided to cut all of the parts in the 1/8" thickness (.125") that were shown in the blueprints. These are the heavier brackets, and high-wear items:

Here we have various items such as tie-down rings, bearing doublers, wing root mounts, door center latches, rudder stops, etc.:
And here are the Flaperon Arms. My plane uses full-span flaperons, which are a combination of flaps (which allow you to land and/or take off more steeply) and ailerons (which make the airplane bank in order to turns). These arms mount the flaperon below the trailing edge of the wing. They were cut on the router using a cutting template:

 Here's the rudder horn. This piece was bent over a piece of oak with a 1/4" radius routered into it and clamped to the table. I used a mallet to hammer this to shape. Took me an hour!

The only parts I haven't made in this thickness are the door handles. They have complex bends, and the 1/8" material is almost impossible to bend without an industrial brake.

No comments:

Post a Comment