About The Project:

The airplane is a home-built, scratch-built Zenith CH 750 STOL. Building from plans/blueprints is a challenging way to build an airplane, since most of the parts you use to build it are not prefabricated. I chose the Zenith CH 750 STOL for its rugged design, its STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) characteristics and its aluminum construction. Zenith Aircraft Company has designed this airplane so that it can be built from scratch or from a kit by the average person. They provide excellent technical support for both kit and scratch builders. In addition, I'll be installing a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 164 cid horizontally opposed, air cooled, 6-cylinder engine, with special conversion parts to make it suitable for airplane duty. This is what the airplane will look like when I'm done, although I'll have a different paint scheme:

Follow my progress below!

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Making more of Zenith's "Standard L"

So originally, I wanted to make Zenith's Standard L angle as I went along the build. However, once I started making it, I really got into a groove, and after about 12 hours (total across 3 working days), I had 64 pieces fabricated. Making Standard L is a long tedious process, but all of us Zenith builders who are working from blueprints only (not a kit) have to fabricate it. It is $7.10 per piece if you order it from zenith. At 64 pieces, that's $454.40 for all the Standard L you need in the plane. 64 pieces of L equate to about 3/5 to 3/4 of a 4' x 12' sheet of .025" aluminum. At current market price, a full sheet of aluminum is only about $100. So you can see the savings, but it costs you time. No matter...3 evenings of making L and I saved nearly $400! Hooray for plans building. Here's a video where I talk a little more about making Zenith's Standard L.


No comments:

Post a Comment