About The Project:

The airplane is a home-built, scratch-built Zenith CH 750 STOL. Building from plans/blueprints is a challenging way to build an airplane, since most of the parts you use to build it are not prefabricated. I chose the Zenith CH 750 STOL for its rugged design, its STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) characteristics and its aluminum construction. Zenith Aircraft Company has designed this airplane so that it can be built from scratch or from a kit by the average person. They provide excellent technical support for both kit and scratch builders. In addition, I'll be installing a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 164 cid horizontally opposed, air cooled, 6-cylinder engine, with special conversion parts to make it suitable for airplane duty. This is what the airplane will look like when I'm done, although I'll have a different paint scheme:

Follow my progress below!

Saturday, February 27, 2016

To weld, or not to weld, that is the question!

Over the years, I've had numerous setbacks in this project. In 2004, I bought my core engine (Corvair) and started having parts converted for flight duty. Back in those days, that required local machine and/or auto performance shops to do work to William Wynne's (FlyCorvair.com) specifications. Over and over again, my local machine shops would do things differently than was specified, or would simply not do things at all. With all the problems, long wait times and supply problems, I had all but shelved this project. In 2011, I committed myself to building this aircraft. Another 2.5-year hiatus, and I'm back to building as of July 2015.

Recently, I had an agreement with a local welding shop for my aluminum fuel tanks. Welding aluminum requires AC TIG welding, a process that is both difficult to do well, and hard to find professionals willing to do it. My local shop looked over my blueprints back in August 2015. We discussed the liability issues and FAA regulations. They agreed to weld my tanks up once I had them fabricated. Fast-forward to January 2016...I had the tanks fabricated and ready for welding! I took the tanks in for the job, and they promptly turned me away. The owner of the shop either forgot he had spoken to me back in August (not likely), or he decided the job wasn't worth the effort or liability.

Disheartened, I looked for alternatives. I decided to purchase welding equipment, spend the next 6 months learning to weld while working on my plane, and then weld the required structures myself. After a lot of research, I decided that the 2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X AC/DC Inverter hobby welder would suit my needs. It arrived yesterday! Check out my video below as I detail the equipment required to weld my airplane, along with my rationale for learning to weld and doing it myself:


No comments:

Post a Comment