About The Project:

The airplane is a home-built, scratch-built Zenith CH 750 STOL. Building from plans/blueprints is a challenging way to build an airplane, since most of the parts you use to build it are not prefabricated. I chose the Zenith CH 750 STOL for its rugged design, its STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) characteristics and its aluminum construction. Zenith Aircraft Company has designed this airplane so that it can be built from scratch or from a kit by the average person. They provide excellent technical support for both kit and scratch builders. In addition, I'll be installing a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 164 cid horizontally opposed, air cooled, 6-cylinder engine, with special conversion parts to make it suitable for airplane duty. This is what the airplane will look like when I'm done, although I'll have a different paint scheme:

Follow my progress below!

Monday, May 23, 2016

More bending brake woes, but hopefully a solution now...

Folks, it's been quite a long while since my last post. Over the past several weeks, I've been trying to figure out a solution to my bending brake problems. When I first broke it, all the pop rivets pulled out of the hinge along a good portion of the length of the brake (8'). Since that time, I built a solid riveting C-Frame and re-riveted the piano hinge with solid rivets. After trying to bend the firewall upper support, I actually stretched the metal of the piano hinge, and the brake just wouldn't bend long parts without putting a twist into them.

So for many weeks, I've been working on revising the brake in my down time. All told, I probably have another 30-40 hours just in brake repairs/modifications. I've managed to make several parts during that time, but the brake was monopolizing everything. I'm pleased to say that my brake modifications and additions now allow me to bend the heavier stuff, but also allow me to bend complex parts that have opposing bends, such as "hat" style sections of channel. I managed to film a 4-part series that outlines progressive modifications and additions to the brake that I had to come up with while attempting to form the Landing Gear Channel, a "hat" style channel with opposing bends. Here's the first video in my series, and I'll post more photos later:

Bending Brake Modifications & Forming Gear Channel:


I also managed to get my cabin side skins primed and ready for solid riveting, and have the flaperon skeletons nearly ready for skins. More on those later. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment