About The Project:

The airplane is a home-built, scratch-built Zenith CH 750 STOL. Building from plans/blueprints is a challenging way to build an airplane, since most of the parts you use to build it are not prefabricated. I chose the Zenith CH 750 STOL for its rugged design, its STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) characteristics and its aluminum construction. Zenith Aircraft Company has designed this airplane so that it can be built from scratch or from a kit by the average person. They provide excellent technical support for both kit and scratch builders. In addition, I'll be installing a 1965 Chevrolet Corvair 164 cid horizontally opposed, air cooled, 6-cylinder engine, with special conversion parts to make it suitable for airplane duty. This is what the airplane will look like when I'm done, although I'll have a different paint scheme:

Follow my progress below!

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Drafting Basics - Reading Zenith Blueprints Parts 1 & 2

Friends,

Spring is just around the corner, but we still have too-cold temps for me to be in the shop. My number one priority for next winter is a real furnace that keeps the shop warm-ish all the time. After a long cold soak, it takes hours and hours to bring the shop up to temp because all the machinery, materials and other mass just sucks the heat right out of the air. So my solution is going to have the shop just stay heated all winter long to about 50-55 degrees, and then turn it up to 60-65 when I work out there. During the cold snap in February, it took me 3 days to bring the shop up to temp with my radiant kerosene heater. My big forced air propane and kerosene heaters just don't have the ability to maintain a temperature very well. They fill the shop with heat, but are super loud and super powerful, to the point I have to turn them back off and then the heat gets sucked right back out of the air. what a pain,

Anyway, since it's still a little too cold to work out there, I've added some Drafting Basics videos to my YouTube channel. These first two videos are all about how to read Zenith Blueprints. More videos on basic drafting skills and how to draw parts will follow.


Drafting Basics - Episode 2: Reading Zenith Blueprints - Part 1:


Drafting Basics - Episode 2: Reading Zenith Blueprints - Part 2:


More updates and build videos to come. Once I can start working in the shop again, I'll be priming and closing up the rudder. I'll then move on to the slats and flaperons.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment